< Back
Larger context for LACK in Corpus USbrown_UKbncw/UK_bncw.txt


According to a rhyme affixed to the gate, Walter de Heston predicted that: Greyfriars gate reproduced from Francis Peck's Annals , 1727.
The Stamford and Rutland Infirmary stands on the site of the Franciscan Greyfriars and was endowed by Henry Fryer, surgeon, in 1828.
The whole tale lacks credibility in that Heston, a noted academic who died c. 1357, was not a Franciscan but a Carmelite of the Whitefriary, and his connection with Stamford is purely related to the university legend.
The Whitefriars was until recently believed to stand on the hospital site, but it was actually positioned between St Paul's Street and Priory Road.
The surviving gateway to it is but a poor mutilated fragment, hardly a "hallowed gate".
The tale is probably just a contemporary fabrication.
GHOST TALES FOR A town of such ancient importance, Stamford has remarkably few ghost traditions.
There are no ghost references in any of the town's histories and Stamford does not appear in national ghost hunting books.
Recently, the tourism business has invented a whole host of ghouls and apparitions, from phantom organists to the ghost of the bull-running, so that overnight Stamford became one of the most haunted towns in England.